Updates for Food and Financial Assistance Amid the COVID-19 Crisis
Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) and Financial Benefits (updated 5/5/20):
The Benefit, Employment, and Support Services Division (BESSD) of DHS will continue to serve residents throughout the pandemic without interruption.
A few changes have been implemented to protect clients and staff during this time:
- There is a reduction in staff at these administrative offices and processing centers, but they are working hard to manage the workload and provide reduced exposure for all. Please be patient with our staff as they work as quickly as they can to process requests and applications.
- Telephone will be the primary means to contact BESSD processing centers and other offices. Please see the phone number (indicate where on this site) for the processing center near you.
- If you visit a processing center, you will be directed to drop off your forms in the drop box and contact the office by phone. The number will be posted on a sign there for your convenience.
- While the lobbies are officially closed during the pandemic, if you do not have access to a phone, signage will instruct you on how to alert BESSD staff at the center that you have no phone. They will work with you through the security doors to help in any way possible.
WE NOW HAVE A DIGITAL APPLICATION YOU MAY USE TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AND SNAP BENEFITS:
First Time Applicants and Applicants who are Re-applying:
We invite you to use the fillable/printable application form (click here) on the DHS website.
There are 3 ways to submit your application:
- Drop off – paper form
- U.S Postal Mail – paper form
- Email – digital form
- Paper form – Once complete, you may print and sign the form, then mail it, or drop it off at a processing center as noted above.
- Digital form – Once complete, you may email the digital form WITH or WITHOUT a signature, as an attachment to [email protected] . Forms that are not signed will be verified over the phone by an eligibility worker, so remember to include your phone number.
Important Instructions to Save and Send the Fillable Form:
Open the fillable link and download the form to your computer before you fill it out.
Use Adobe Acrobat pdf fillable version that you Saved to input your information.
Once you complete the application, SAVE it with your full first and last name to your computer. If you do not SAVE the form before exiting, your information will not be saved.
Always double check the document to make sure that all of your information is included before sending.
Lastly, send this document as an attachment to [email protected] .
We recommend that you use the free Acrobat Reader software to view, fill out, save, and print the PDF application. If you don’t already have it, you can download it from Adobe’s website at https://get.adobe.com/reader.
Current Recipients of SNAP:
SNAP certification periods for recipients requiring six-month review or eligibility reviews during March, April, and May will be extended an additional six month to ensure no lapse in benefits due to the pandemic. A notice will be sent to you, at the last known address on file via U.S. Postal mail providing more details.
During the pandemic, the US Department of Agriculture has waived Able Bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWD) work / Education & Training requirement. This is in response to the decline in available work and closure of training courses due to the pandemic. During this time, applicants will no longer need to re-file SNAP applications.
More information will be provided on these and several other program enhancements geared to help residents during this difficult time. Please check this website frequently.