The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program will open its 2016 application period from June 1 through June 30. LIHEAP assists households with their utility bill (electric or gas) in two ways:
- Energy Crisis program assists with up to $350 to restore power to the residence of a household whose electricity or gas has been shut off or is about to be terminated.
- The Energy Credit program provides households who are not in crisis with a one-time payment which will be deposited directly into their utility account sometime the latter part of the year.
To be eligible for the program you must submit an application with all individuals (related or unrelated) living at your residence, submit verification of Social Security Numbers for all household members, identification for all adults, income as of June 2016, proof of Citizenship and your current electric or gas bill.
Eligibility for LIHEAP is determined by the community action agencies. Addresses and phone numbers for the agency near you are listed below.
O‘ahu: Honolulu Community Action Program (HCAP)
- Central District Service Center Phone: 488-6834
- Kalihi-Palama District Service Center Phone: 847-0804
- Lē‘ahi District Service Center Phone: 732-7755
- Leeward District Service Center Phone: 696-4261
- Windward District Service Center Phone: 239-5754
- Website: hcapweb.org
Hawaii: Hawai‘i County Economic Opportunity Council (HCEOC)
- Hilo Field Office Phone: 961-2681 ext. 415
- Website: http://hceoc.net/programs/energy/
- For information of additional office sites contact the Hilo Office
Maui: Maui Economic Opportunity (MEO)
- Wailuku Phone: 249-2970
- Moloka‘i Phone: 553-3216
- Lāna‘i Phone: 565-6665
Kauai: Kaua‘i Economic Opportunity (KEO)
- Līhu‘e Phone: 245-4077